I picked design A (possibly or possibly not guided by feedback from my partner, I'm not telling!),
and created two panels like this one
I made myself this test pouch using this great tutorial:
And learnt a lot, including not to put a ladies head right next to a seam!
....and then I put off making the REAL thing because I was scared I'd muck it up. However, with the deadline looming I had to "man-up" and tackle it this week..
Sunday evening: Sewed first panel to zip, and then top-stitched it. Stitching was all loopy on the back and stitch sizes were all over the place as the PVC lining kept sticking to the machine. Unpicked it and did it again.
Repeat above exercise another three times with various threads and machine settings. PVC now looks more like a teabag. Air turns blue. Bedtime.
Monday nap-time: Successfully top stitch first panel to zip. Quit whilst I'm ahead.
Tuesday Evening: Successfully sew second panel to zip. Attempt to top-stitch it but PVC lining gets folded unevenly resulting in a chunk of lining that will definitely get stuck in the zip. Air turns blue again. Stitches unpicked and PVC vigourously rubbed to see if the holes will become less visible! Redo (twice) and sew the rest of the pouch together. Spectacularly snap a needle during stitching of denim loop to end of pouch. Arrrrgh.
Wednesday morning: Box all 8 corners in a heavyweight title fight, but without major incident (woohoo!) Pouch turned though and now seems a little on the large size! (7.5" x 10.5" x4")
Lining sewn up and pouch completed....large sigh of relief.
So partner, if you're reading this...revel in the fact that sweat and tears (no blood fortunately!) went into the making of this item. I really hope you like it!