Wednesday 21 December 2011

Over-committed!

I admit it... I totally over-committed myself this Christmas.  What with a few commissions, plus a whole heap of Christmas gifts I decided I was going to make, I find myself in full on panic mode with a ginormous list of sewing left to do, no Christmas cards sent and no present wrapping done!

And this kind of panic leads to sewing disasters....

but first the good stuff :)

One doorstop completed for a commission due on Christmas Eve.  A remake of the hungry caterpillar to match is on it's way too.



Another commission, two kids book bags (for twin girls) and a large cushion cover.  The cushion was fun because I was handed the old one (on the left) and asked to replace it "in the same colour scheme but a bit more interesting"....I really hope this will fit the bill!

And a large washbag destined as a Christmas pressie for someone who I think doesn't read my blog!

There's more, but I can't show it just yet.

Did I mention a sewing disaster?  Sigh. 
It all started pretty well. The request is for four dining room chair cushions destined for brother number 2 and his girlfriend (also hopefully not blog readers).  I've never made these before so I'm in "make it up as you go along" mode.  I started by purchasing four cheap cushions and unpicking the covers on them (Tip: this worked out at half the price of having foam cut to order!)

Using the old covers as templates, I cut my fabric for the first one, added a zip (ha ha, so easy to type, but not so easy in real life) and stitched the top and bottom together, with piping and cotton tape for the ties.

It's a bit messy at the zip ends, but it's passable.

Encouraged by this, and with the learnings of zip number 1 under my belt, I embark on cover number 2.  It goes like a dream, the zip, the piping, the corners...I even finish the insides with a zigzag stitch.


Number 2 is on the left...can anyone spot why I am officially a Doofus?

Yes, the fabric is upside down. I think I want to cry :(

James says it won't be noticeable when people are sitting on them....had to smile at that...am giving up for this evening and am going blog surfing...goodnight all!

x



 

11 comments:

  1. Awwww, well position the seats face to face, no one will notice! I absolutely love them though, and that fabric is freakin awesome ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. James is right, no one will notice. Loving all your makes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really sorry, I suspect I would have done the same wrong result.
    Can you use the 'wrong' top as a bottom for another one?? Maybe a future one to sell? Then it won't be a complete Grrrrr?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your makes look great! I do the upsidedown fabric thing a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But it's actually the right way up for the person approaching the seat - they can have a wee read before they sit on it. Lovely makes chick! Hang in there! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Och, I never even noticed, but what Judith said, that might actually be the right way up ;o)

    Good luck with the rest of your list, I think I might be winning with the embroidery...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really wouldn't worry about it - just make #3 the same as #1 and #4 the same as #2 and they'll never know which way the fabric as supposed to be! I love everything you've made!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have given up on working with directional fabric!!!

    I hope you catch up with yourself soon and manage to have a relaxing Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh no, what a shame: altho I certainly didn;t notice the difference!! Love the fabric

    ReplyDelete