In other news, the products of my stitching have had two outings in the last week. The weekend before last, everything I'd sewn went to a large Christmas fair near Lewes with my friend Clare who is a talented buyer (and, as it turns out, seller!), and then this Saturday, five of us shared a stall at a local hotel.
I didn't make it to Clare's fair, as that was the weekend that Felix was ill, but got feedback on the Saturday that she'd only sold badges. However, the clientele was completely different on the Sunday and the more pleasing grand total was:
- 17 badge sets
- 2 Makeup bags
- 1 purse
- 1 washbag
- 1 tote bag
- 1 cushion
- and......believe it or not....The Hungry Caterpillar! (Apparently, he could have sold twice as someone came back and asked for him later!)
And my little section:
(I can't claim credit for the handstitched (!) bunting which belongs to felt queen, Perdita)
The sales tally:
- Lots more badges
- A tote bag
- A wash bag
- 3 make-up bags
- 2 little purses
- And some fabric covered handbag mirrors (that we were making on the day!)
- ooo plus a friend has since asked to save her a doorstop and a cushion..
- Some of my stuff is a little too bright for the more traditional customers that seem to attend smaller fairs round here. People admired the cushions but couldn't see where they'd fit in their homes
- Pocket money purchases are essential to keep your morale up
- Order your business cards well in advance, so they are not still in the post when you want to be handing them out (doh!)
- REALLY REALLY don't be disheartened if things aren't selling. It's easier said than done, but from Claire's experience...the same products at the same fair sold much better on the second day.