What is it about photos taken in the garden that makes simple things look lovely?!
And secondly, a container for lovely things.
1) I started with a box that was left over from one of James' Christmas presents (he's not a box keeper).
2) I measured it and cut a cross shaped template, with little flaps at the top and on one edge of each side.(I used white sheeting, but paper would also work)
3) I transferred my template to fabric
4) I used spray glue to stick the fabric to the box, tucking in the flaps to give a neat finish on the edges (note that I'd tried white fabric before the blue, which didn't work because the glue showed through)
5) I then repeated the process for the lid
6) For the label, I used my favourite technique of ironing a piece of cotton to quilters paper and then using my printer to print my chosen words onto the cotton. This label uses a free font I found online which I think makes the box much more quirky
7) Finally I machine stitched the edges of my label and glued it in place
Ta-dah!! fabric covered box! Did I make it look easy? Here are the bits I missed out:
- Don't use pale fabric for this, I found the spray glue shows through
- Don't forget to cut the flaps when you do your template (doh!)
- Don't cover the box in too thick a fabric - the lid won't fit on afterwards (doh again!)