Remember my plan for the Charley Harper Quiltalong? the little mouse.
I decided that I want my wall hanging to be textured, so I used a heavyweight but soft furnishing fabric for the background. I did a few tests with ribbon, string, fabric etc and then opted for a lime green furry trim (which is actually the selvedge from a chenille fabric). Let's call this Plan A....
Because Plan A required me to fix the trim behind the hole, I cut my mousehole first, using a dinner plate for size. I then machine stitched green furry trim to hole.....
Yikes! My mousehole became frilly! This was really not the look I was after. Possibly strengthening the fabric with interfacing first would have reduced this effect, but too late for me.
I cut out the green furry trim and went with Plan B for my (slightly bigger) mousehole. Plan B involved stitching twine to the outside of the hole.
I had tested this but the result.......messy, and because I'd already cut the hole, the edges of the fabric were on show, all too slapdash.
I went to bed grumpy!
I woke up at 6am with a brain wave, and Plan C was formed. I got up and actually made a start on it before little Felix woke up at 7. Basically I have bound the edges with a grey chenille wool that I had in my stash, using the largest darning needle I could lay my hands on. I kept going until the edges and the string from plan B were completely covered...and finally, I like the result! It's textured and raises up slightly so the mouse really will be in the hole.