Wednesday 13 July 2011

Work in progress Wednesday No.

It's been a while, what with holidays / a new kitchen / the hidden cottage / the fabric fund and a one year old who took her first steps on Sunday(!) but there has been time for a little sewing! Here is the latest work in progress Wednesday report, linking up with Lee over at Freshly Pieced


Financial projects:
The fabric fund now stands at £177!!! not bad for clutter that has been lurking around our house for some time.  I'm squirrelling it away because there's a chance I might make it to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham in August, and a little bird told me to take pocketfuls of cash to spend on fabric :)
Completed projects:
Hmm.  Lots but they've all been the subject of previous non work-in-progress posts so I'll only witter on about the latest two.  (But if you really want to see the completed Supernova, click here!)
Both are Brit Bee related. Here are the Miss June's blocks.  Fiona asked us for two disappearing nine-patches, which were really fun to do, partly because of the gorgeous "vintagey" fabrics she chose.

And then Miss July, Judith, sent some red and white Oakshott cottons and asked us to..well do what we like, really!  Here's my efforts
This optical illusion one took me longer to work out the maths for than it did to sew it together! I ended up making two sets of stripes and then slicing them into different thicknesses and alternating them before sewing them together. If anyone wants the numbers, let me know, I'll happily pass them on to save someone else the pain!
This second one was completely improvised, in contrast to the first - and equally fun to make!

Work in progress:
  • Sliced Coins quilt. Still no progress (beyond a joke really!)
  • Bee Europa - it's my month!   I've sent these fabrics:

And using this quilt as my inspiration have asked for flower blocks with any kind of piecing around the edges.  I can't wait to see what the clever ladies come up with!
  • The shop in Hastings.  The Rainbow quilt and the ticker tape cushion both sold pretty quickly, so I've committed to do another quilt and a few more cushions.  The only progress worth photographing is  two similar cushion tops.
  • In a bit of a departure from my normal bright colours, I've done something in neutrals...what do you think? (honestly!)  Will these sell or shall I go back to zingy colours?!
  • Project 51 (sssshhh we can't talk about it!)

Projects taken on but not yet started:
  • Bee Europa June block - I'm late, sorry!
  • Dining room chair cushions for my brother
  • Bench cushion for my oldest friend
  • A Rainbow quilt for little Matthew
  • Sock monsters (like the original Mr Stripey) for my friend Sarah to give to two little girls she knows.
Ok, If you've made it this far, pat on the back, thanks for reading my braindump!
x

18 comments:

  1. Love the blocks, especially the optical illusion one!!!
    The grey cushions are gorgeous, honestly xx

    Yay for walking, a whole other bag of fun there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know what to congratulate you on first! Yay for the first step, your blocks are great (optical illusion is amazing), fabric funds are impressive (gettin envious already thinking of you lot meeting up in Birmingham...) well done on the shop sales too (the grey cushions are really classy) and, phew, I think thats everything?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the neutrals--a great take on the rainbow blocks, which are all about the stunningly brilliant brights. Bravo on that!

    Elizabeth E.
    http://occasionalpiece.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, the optical illusion is awesome. I don't know if I'd even have to balls to do something like that. And I do like the pillows. I think they will sell. Like you, I love the bright rainbow colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those grey cushions are awesome. There are people for every colour and there will be plenty who would prefer the muted colours. Hope plans for the quilt Market are coming together. :-))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I'm amazed at your productivity! Where do you find the time?! I love the grey cushions too, sometimes it's nice to go a bit more neutral. I reckon they'd sell in a flash!

    And congrats to Felix too!! You're now entering a whole new world of fun but be warned, it will take you AGES to get anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the grey cushions too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG how are you doing all of this??!! and so cool in fact you seem to be using a lot of terminology that I have never heard of!!
    I LOVE the top one colours are amazing and the neutrals are stylish too I totally see a market.
    on a baby note first steps Brilliant!! well done felix. a whole new world, Olive is just thinking about crawling and that seems full on, I cant wait till she can follow me around :) XXX
    ps your blog is looking rockin too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab blocks - I'd love the pattern of the optical illusion one! And I also love your neutrals tops - v.modern and chic! I'm sure they will appeal to a modern 20/30 something (that's me out then!). Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Felix, well done on your first steps..... there's a whole different world to see now :-)

    I LOVE the grey cushions, they're beautiful.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your bee blocks! That red and white optical illusion block is beyond cool. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Uhooi,,
    Wow,, It works great, creative and beautiful,,

    Uhooi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the optical illusion block!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG......you have been sooooooooooo busy, love it all. I am especially liking the the cushion tops for the Hastings shop (I need to visit this shop) and a big WELL DONE to Felix, more running around for you though Ceri....lol :). I was having a nosey at your website as well the other day, how professional are you?, it is brilliant, Nic xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the gray - I think they will sell. They are beautiful and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE the optical illusion block! I'd love the numbers for it, could you please send them to me? I love the gray, too - I think it will sell.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you don't mind Ceri, but I just nominated you for the Liebster Award.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd love to have the numbers on your optical illusion block. I think it is so neat.
    marilyn2222 @ hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete