Saturday 20 August 2011

The one that almost didn't get away...and a spot of virtual reality

I finished up a couple of items for this new shop I'm supplying in St. Leonards-on-sea.  The first is one of those cushions I posted about a couple of days ago.  It has an envelope back using a light beige soft furnishing fabric.  This a bit of a diversion from my normal dark grey backs and I like it, with the lighter back and apples it feels all a bit retro Scandinavian!

The second is try number two of a bag.  It's another tote bag with an external pocket but this time I went for a single strap, made from the bargain car boot cotton webbing I picked up and a strip of stripey fabric.

I bit the bullet and cut into my Melody Miller Ruby Star Rising print, for a patch on the front and an inside pocket...

I wasn't sure about this bag in the process as I used another biege-ish furnishing fabric (a bit so-so, I thought) for the body of the bag, but by adding that delicious print and the strap, I suddenly found I was really really quite fond of the finished product!

I handed it over to the shop though, through smiley gritted teeth, and silently vowed to make another similar one, and maybe pop online and treat myself to some more Melody Miller :)

Whilst on one hand I'm selling some handmade things, I did also manage to purchase a handmade gem today.  We went to Brighton on shopping mission for James and stopped by at the Brunswick Festival because my virtual (and now real!) friend Ilona from I Drew this had a stall with her mum-in-law, selling clothing under the brand "Oui made this". Not only did I get to meet the lovely Ilona but also her gorgeous daughter Olive, and clever stitching mum-in-law, Maureen!


(here's us trying to get Olive to look at the camera!)


They had set aside a big bag of scraps at a bargain price for me, and look what I bought for Felix!

The fabric is designed by Ilona and the reversible top is made by her mum-in-law (as well as those fab hats the littles were modelling!).  No chance to get a photo of Felix in her new top yet  - she was far too grubby by the time we got back from the beach this evening!

x

15 comments:

  1. Oh I would never have let that bag out of my mitts!
    Looked like a lovely day out x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bag is fab, no wonder they had to prise it away from you lol Definitely think you need to make yourself one, and of course, having sold some items, shopping for more fabric is a must! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Hadley on that, how could you give up that bag?! Make yourself one now! Its lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bag! The strap fabric is fab and would go with so many other fabrics.

    I've had problems posting comments on your blog lately - probably Blogger playing up again (at my end as it's not just been on your blog comments), here's hoping this one is allowed to post....

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bag and the cushion are so cute! They look so official with your tags and labels =D I would totally buy that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. now that. is a. lovely bag. Oh yes indeedy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw look at you two and your lovely bubs!
    I love that bag, it's a beauty.
    Hope it's gone to a good home
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Your makes are gorgeous, especially the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gorgeous makes - they will be snapped up in no time! The bag turned out fab - another variation on the same style would be a messenger bag style flap! Keep going bag lady! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that cushion and the bag is fab :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Uhu !!! Who also got on the Ruby Star Rising lane !! Careful girl there is no way back! Love the bag and the cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooooh that bag......I wouldn't have, I couldn't have given it up! I just hope it goes to someone lovely....now where did you say the shop was????

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the print used for your bag, it does work so well with the plain neutral fabric... you'll definitely have to make another!! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. your bag is indeed awesome!! was soo nice to meet you and hope to visit you on your turf soon :) x

    ReplyDelete